If hard water has you down, the SpringWell SS1 will have you smiling like many others that have bought this system.
We rated SS1 as our best water softener of 2023 – read on to learn why.
- Budget-friendly multi-cycle meter system
- Intuitive digital interface with Bluetooth
- Won’t reduce water pressure
- Easy bathroom-based sizing
- 6-month money-back satisfaction guarantee
Use Coupon Code: QWL5 to save
Best for: This system is our number one pick for a good reason – it’s the best overall salt-based system out there and is perfect for anyone looking for a great system.
SpringWell SS1 Review
Millions of American homes have hard water — water with high levels of minerals like calcium and magnesium. Hard water isn’t a health risk, but it’s not kind to your skin, clothing and appliances.
Limescale buildup in pipes forces dishwashers and water heaters to work overtime — you could spend thousands on unexpected repairs. The good news is you don’t have to.
- SpringWell’s conventional salt-based softening system removes hard minerals from water via ion exchange.
- The science is simple, and so is the technology. It couldn’t be any simpler to use.
- State of the art five-cycle meter control makes the system ultra-efficient.
- It uses less salt and creates fewer gallons of wastewater than similar models, saving you money.
- Enjoy complete control over system settings with Bluetooth — adjust regeneration and backwash cycles from your cell phone wherever and whenever.
- Kits come complete with everything needed for a DIY-friendly installation.
- Made of durable, independently certified materials.
- SpringWell water softeners are backed by a limited lifetime warranty and a reputation for hassle-free performance.
- Cutting-edge digital heads are back-lit for easy viewing.
- There are no confusing symbols — programming routines are straightforward and can be managed from your cell phone.
- You never have to wonder what your system is doing.
- Five-cycle meter control guarantees you’ll use the least amount of salt and water necessary to remove hard minerals, and that’s money in the bank.
- Quality and performance are what make the SpringWell the best salt based water softener system for homes with stubborn mineral problems and homeowners who want a fix-it-and-forget-it system.
- It’s an exceptional value.
- Above-average initial cost
The difference between SpringWell water softeners and cheaper knock-offs is obvious the first time you see the system. Tanks are constructed of rugged polypropylene, and their sturdy feel is impressive. Brine tanks are generously sized and can hold more than 200 pounds of salt. The wide-mouth design makes loading a breeze.
Comparable Water Softeners To Consider over Springwell’s SS1
- Fleck 5600SXT Water Softener: This is a great alternative to the Springwell SS1 as it has a 48,000-grain capacity and uses digital metered technology for efficient regeneration. It also comes with an LCD display that makes programming easier.
- Aquasana Rhino Whole House Water Filter & Salt-Free Descaler: This system combines filtration and descaling technologies into one unit, making it ideal for those who want both features in their water softening system. This combo unit can remove up to 97% of chlorine from your water while preventing scale buildup without using any salt or chemicals.
Keep in mind, depending on what you need out of a water softening system, each of these products has different advantages that may make them better suited for certain circumstances or uses other than the Springwell SS1 Salt-based Water Softener.
SpringWell SS1 Performance Features
Negatively charged resin in salt-based water softeners bind with positively charged hard minerals, removing them from water. Once resin is saturated to capacity, salt water from the brine reservoir flows over it, disrupting the electrical bond.
Excess calcium and magnesium are flushed down the drain instead of forming limescale in your pipes. Other benefits include softer skin and brighter clothing. Hard water impairs detergent — you’ll use up to 40-percent less with softer water, and your clothes will come out cleaner.
Choosing the right water softener among the hundreds on the market is a challenge, so let’s decipher the technical jargon and see if the SpringWell is the best salt based water softener system for your home.
Key Deciding Factors to Consider Before Buying
- Efficiency: How much salt is used per gallon of water softened?
- Capacity: What is the maximum capacity of softening that can be achieved with this product?
- Durability: How long will the product last before needing to be replaced or serviced?
- Cost-effectiveness: What is the cost per gallon of softened water compared to other products on the market?
- Installation and Maintenance Requirements: Is installation easy, and what are the maintenance requirements for this product?
|48″ (57″ with head)
|11 GPM SERVICE
|6.5 – 10
|W 18″ x H 33″ (Round)
A water softener’s capacity reflects the number of hard minerals the resin in the softening tank can hold between regeneration cycles — this is important because it determines how much salt and water a system uses. Oversized systems may not soften properly, while a too-small unit will regenerate too often, costing you money.
Traditionally, water softeners are sized by the grain — an accurate but confusing system. SpringWell takes the doubt of choosing the proper model by sizing them based on the number of bathrooms in your home. Models come in three sizes for 1-3, 4-6, and 7 or more baths.
Mechanical filtration takes time — any barrier between the flow of water coming into your home and the tap can reduce pressure. But no one wants to shower in a trickle, so all SpringWell water filtration systems are engineered to guarantee brisk flow.
Flow rate, measured in gallons per minute, tells you how many water-using activities you can do at a time without loss of pressure. If flushing a toilet and filling a pasta pot use a combined six gallons per minute, the average 7 GMP flow rate offered by most softening systems could leave you short. SpringWell’s 11–13 GMP flow rate means the entire family can enjoy water without waiting.
Bluetooth System Control
Old water softeners waste both salt and water because they regenerate on a set schedule. The SpringWell system monitors water usage and regenerates only when necessary, lowering both your utility and salt bills.
Control regeneration and backwash cycles from your cell phone. Programs are intuitive and rated by customers as among the easiest to set in the industry. If you live in an area where storms are frequent, a time-saving battery backup preserves your settings in a power outage.
Water softeners are integrated into the main water inlet coming into your home, near an electrical outlet and a drain. Spaces must be tall enough for vertical installation — 6 feet or more. You’ll need roughly 12-square feet of space for both tanks plus enough space to move around them for maintenance.
Polypropylene Tanks & Softening Resin
The Springwell SS salt-based softener is constructed with certified, high-quality polypropylene tanks. These tanks are divided into two sections: one for brine (salt) and the other for a special softening resin.
This resin helps make hard water softer and lasts up to 8 years! In simpler terms, this device uses a combination of salt and resin to soften your water so it’s gentler on your skin when you shower or do dishes.
All of Springwell’s water filtration systems are designed for DIY-friendly installation, but you’ll have to cut pipe, so comfort with plumbing is a must. Homeowners with basic do-it-yourself skills can do it in a half-day — step-by-step instructions include pictorials, and SpringWell’s technical support representatives are happy to help by phone. Consult a plumber if your space or pipes are irregular.
What Comes In The Box
You’re getting all the things you need to get your system up in running in no time:
- Brine and resin tanks
- Electronic bluetooth control head
- Power connections
- MNTP Fittings (x2)
- Bypass valve
- 50″ inch drain line
- Hose clamp
Here’s an easy to follow manual that’s downloadable in PDF format covering the SS1, SS4, and SS+ models (Installation manual)
The SS models uses a process called ion-exchange to make hard water softer. Basically, this system needs salt in order to work properly. You’ll need to add salt to the brine tank every few months, which can hold up to 200 lbs of salt and is easy to fill due its wide opening.
The resin inside the unit will last for around 8 years before needing replacement, but you may need more frequent maintenance depending on your water conditions. I would also recommend regularly checking the system’s settings and making sure all connections are secure for optimal performance.
Springwell SS1 vs SS4 – What are the key differences?
The key difference between the Springwell SS1 and SS4 salt-based water softeners lies in their capacity — the former has a maximum of 32,000 grains per gallon while the latter can handle up to 80,000 grains per gallon. The larger capacity makes the SS4 ideal for homes with higher water usage or extreme hardness levels.
The SS series falls into three categories:
- SS1 is built for 1-3 bathrooms and a flow rate of 11 GPM
- SS4 can handle 4-6 bathrooms with a flow rate of 13 GPM
- SS+ designed more for commercial applications has a flow rate of 20 GPM
Help & Support
SpringWell water filtration systems are backed by a limited lifetime warranty and knowledgeable customer care. With two decades of experience in the water softening business, they won’t let you down.
No SpringWell Salt Based Water Softener review would be complete without mentioning its cost-effectiveness. Replacing a water heater or dishwasher because of limescale buildup can easily exceed the cost of a softening system. Why wait for the worst to happen when you can get all the benefits of soft water today and protect your most valuable investment — your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
For your convenience, all SpringWell water softeners arrive resin-filled and ready to install. Purchase the salt of your choice separately for the brine tank.
Yes, but high levels of iron can damage the softening resin. If a water test shows high levels, you’ll need to install an iron pre-filter first. The technicians at SpringWell can guide you.
No, both tanks must be installed vertically. The softening tank with the head attached measures 57 inches tall.
Use Coupon Code: QWL5 to save!
Compare more top salt-based water softener brands:
- Whirlpool WHESFC ProSeries Review
- AquaOx WS Review
- Whirlpool WHES40E Review
- SoftPro Elite – Water Softener for Well Water
- Fleck SXT5600 Review
- Aquasure Harmony Series Review
- Iron Pro 2 Combination 64k Review