Drinking filtered water has tangible health benefits, but unless you have a whole home filtration system, you’re spending ten minutes a day pouring the same dirty water you won’t drink all over your body in the shower.
What’s worse — chances are you’ve noticed the effects of it, but don’t realize your water is to blame.
If you have dry, itchy skin and hair that feels like hay, or you’re worried about exposure to the witches brew of chemicals and contaminants that could be in your water, a shower head filter could be a game changer.
- Best Overall: Aquasana AQ-4100
- Best Budget: Culligan WSH-C125
- Best for Chloramine Removal: Sonaki Vitamin C Filter
- Best for Reliable Chlorine Removal: Berkey Filter
- Best Filter Life: AquaHomeGroup Luxury Head
- Best for Dry Skin & Hard Water: AquaBliss 12-Stage Filter
#1. Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System
Aquasana shower head has combined the benefits of KDF 55 filtration media and premium coconut shell carbon for maximum contaminant reduction.
Like the Berkey, it removes chlorine and heavy metals, plus hydrogen sulfide, herbicides, pesticides and VOCs, and it also balances pH — a plus for skin and hair.
- Third-party tested and ANSI/NSF 177 certified for chlorine removal
- Twist-on installation
- Low cost of ownership
- One-year warranty
Best For: For anyone looking for a solid chlorine shower filter on a budget.
- The multi-setting massage head makes for a customizable shower experience, and its 10,000-gallon capacity offers long life between filter changes.
- The Aquasana aq-4100 shower filter is certified to remove over 90% of chlorine from shower water, as well as other harmful chemicals and contaminants.
- It is easy to install and requires no tools or professional assistance.
- The filter will not affect the water pressure or temperature, and has a lifespan of 6 months.
- It’s designed to fit all standard showerheads and comes with a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
- Chlorine is a known skin irritant and can cause dryness, redness, and itchiness –the aq-4100 will help to alleviate these symptoms.
- The filter will also help to preserve the natural oils in your skin and hair, keeping them healthy and hydrated.
- If you have sensitive skin or suffer from allergies, the Aquasana aq-4100 shower filter can make showering a more pleasant experience.
- The Aquasana aq-4100 shower filter is an affordable way to improve the quality of your shower water, and the health of your skin and hair.
- The price is competitive and most users report excellent results with it.
- Unlike some models, it’s backed by a one-year warranty, and we like that it’s NSF-certified for chlorine removal.
- The components are BPA-free
- Overall, it’s a solid performer and a best if you’re on a budget.
- This filter looks good on paper, but the latest version has a new housing that doesn’t perform as well as its predecessor.
- Housing can be prone to cracks and leaks
#2. Vitamin C Filter Inline Shower Assembly by Sonaki
If you’re looking to seriously knock the frizz out of your hair, then Sonaki is your best choice.
Vitamin C infused to eliminate chlorine providing you with a clean showing experience you should have.
We tested this shower filter and love it!
- Design doesn’t significantly change the height of the shower head
- Superior chloramine removal
- See-through filter housing
- Attractive finish
Best For: Those looking for a shower head for chloramine.
- There’s nothing fancy here, but this is a reliable filter.
- Depending on water conditions, the Vitamin C cartridges can wear out quickly, but at least the housing is see-through, so you won’t have to guess if it’s still working.
- Users across the board report good results, but a few have been disappointed.
- Sonaki performs on par or better than most models in its class, and its resin construction and all-brass fittings.
- It feels more durable than other brands, making it our runner-up for chloramine.
- Attach it behind your shower head for a 99-percent or more reduction in chlorine and chloramine and reap the skin benefits, too.
- Made of durable resin with a chrome finish, it comes with three filters that treat an average of 5,000 gallons of water combined.
- he Sonaki Vitamin C Shower Filter is easy to install and use, and it is very affordable.
- Some users have also found that the filter does not last as long as they would like, needing to be replaced after a few months of use.
- Filters may have less capacity than claimed
#3.Berkey Shower Filter
Berkey is a trusted maker of world-class water purification products, and they’ve put their know-how into this well-engineered shower head filter.
Its ultra-pure KDF 55 media is the most effective for removing chlorine from water before it can irritate your skin or be vaporized and inhaled.
- Works with your choice of shower head
- Prevent iron staining NSF/ANSI requirements.
- Back flush attachment improves filter performance
- Long-lasting filtration
- Made in the United States
Best For: The Berkey shower filter is best for people who are looking for a reliable and effective way to remove impurities and contaminants from their water.
- Heavy metals including lead are significantly reduced as well as select minerals that cause rust and limescale stains in the shower.
- The unit takes seconds to install and includes a back-flush attachment to help keep it clean. Each unit filters an industry-leading 10,000 gallons.
- For removing chlorine and heavy metals, nothing beats KDF 55 media.
- Its copper-zinc formula reacts with chlorine — called an oxidation-reduction reaction — as it passes through the shower head and turns it into harmless, water-soluble chloride.
- KDF 55 is the filtration media of choice for many filter manufacturers, but it’s not all created equal.
- The Berkey uses only the highest-quality brand, and its Full Flow design not only preserves water pressure — it improves contact between the media and water for a better chlorine extraction.
- If you use the backflush attachment regularly to clean the filter, you’ll keep the water pressure strong and extend the filter’s life.
- With a 10,000-gallon total capacity, it’s my top choice for water pressure.
- Berkey’s patented Full Flow media encourages a uniform flow of water through the system for maximum pressure. Most users report no change.
- You can use this with a handheld shower head.
- Spray pattern is narrow
- Teflon tape isn’t included in the installation kit like other brands
#4. AquaHomeGroup Luxury Filtered Shower Head
Lots of products use the word luxury in their name, but this one may live up to the hype.
For a price that’s lower than its major competitors, its 15-stage filtration and premium, high-output head are among the highest performing.
- Softens skin with Vitamin E
- Gentle, rainfall shower head
- Long-life cartridges
Best For: Anyone looking for a “luxury” look without the luxury price and that works pretty darn good.
- With KDF 55 media plus activated carbon and Vitamins C and E, it softens skins and removes contaminants.
- The kit comes with everything you need for tool-less installation including the Teflon tape and five free shower caps.
- Cartridges last about six months and replacement filters have one of the lowest prices in the business.
- It’s well-made, and users give it high marks for overall performance and rave reviews for the way it makes skin feel using words like “luxurious” liberally.
- For the cost, it’s a steal and our pick for best value.
- The filter removes impurities from the water leaving you with clean water to shower with.
- The shower head is adjustable, so you can customize your shower experience to your liking.
- The shower head is easy to install and use, making it a great choice for anyone looking for a hassle-free way to get filtered water in their shower.
- The filter isn’t NSF certified, but it’s CE-certified — that’s a rough European equivalent.
- Doesn’t remove chloramines despite Vitamin C in the filter
- Made in China
#5. AquaBliss High-output 12-Stage Shower Filter
This filter by AuqaBliss is among the best rated shower heads for its overall performance.
Its proprietary 12-stage filtration system uses both KDF 55 and activated carbon filtration media.
- Sediment filtration improves media efficiency
- Same easy installation process for all types of shower heads
- Long-lasting filters reduce the cost of ownership to nine cents per day
- Filter enhancements improves the feel of skin
Best For: Those looking to improve dry skin for a great price.
- It reduces chlorine, heavy metals and chemical impurities, plus it has two layers of sediment filtration to improve filtering efficiency and lengthen the life of the cartridge.
- Each filter process up to 12,000 gallons depending on water conditions, and for an authentic spa experience, zeolite and tourmaline balls add minerals that revitalize skin and hair.
- If you need an inexpensive filter, this one doesn’t come with a shower head, so using your own saves some cash.
- In terms of performance, it’s competitive and reduces almost everything you don’t want in your water except chloramines and fluoride.
- It’s made of plastic, but it’s still durable, and there are no issues with seams that leak.
- Like the Luxury Filtered Shower Head Set, it has bonus filtration layers that improve water quality beyond removing toxins, making it a best for soothing skin.
- Made in China ( Isn’t everything…)
#6. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head with Massage
The WSH-C125 by Culligan is a simple filter for reducing sulfur, scale and chlorine, but if you need to save water, it’s a miser.
- Long-life filter cartridges
- Sturdy housing
Best For: for people who want a NSF certified water filter to improve the quality of their shower water.
- It’s the only model on our list that’s EPA WaterSense-certified for using two gallons of water or less per minute, and it’s also NSF-certified for chlorine reduction.
- The included shower head has five clog-free settings for comfort, and each filter has a 10,000-gallon capacity and a five-year warranty.
- If you’re one of the folks that get red-eyed and itchy in chlorinated water, the NSF certification on this filter makes it a good choice.
- It’s basic — there are no so-called luxury components or vitamins here, but if you want an old-fashioned clean shower without the chlorine sting, you’ll get it.
- For those living on the road in an RV or in an area where water costs are high, you’ll appreciate the water-saving design.
- This filter doesn’t do as much as the competition, but what it does, it does capably.
- The head swivels 30-degrees making adjusting simple.
- Culligan designed this filter for those with low water pressure in mind, so rest assured — no drop in water pressure to be had.
- Does not remove lead
After diving deep into reviews and personal experiences, the Aquasana AQ-4100 is hands-down the top pick. It’s all about that spa-like treatment for your skin and hair. But if you’re looking for something easy on the pocket with a touch of luxury, the Culligan WSH-C125 with its massage feature is a total win. I’ve had friends rave about both. Trust me, these choices will elevate your shower game!
Compare All 6 Shower Filters(Mobile users: Swipe to scroll)
|Compare Brands & Models
|#1 Aquasana AQ-4100
|#2 Vitamin C Shower Filter
|#3 Berkey Shower Filter
|#4 Luxury Filtered Filter
|#5 AquaBliss Shower Filter
|#6 Culligan Shower Filter
|In-line + Shower Head
|In-line + Shower Head
|In-line + Shower Head
How We Chose
Our quest for the ultimate shower filters was nothing short of a mission impossible, minus the exploding gadgets. Here’s how we cracked the code:
- Water Quality: We get it, clean water is the holy grail. We assessed each shower filter’s knack for turning tap water into liquid gold by slashing nasties like chlorine, iron, and other lurking troublemakers. And we didn’t just take our word for it; we listened to real folks who’ve used them.
- Skin Health: We kept the sensitive and dry-skinned folks in mind. Our filters don’t just clean water; they also give your skin a spa-worthy treatment. If you’re battling eczema, we’ve got options that might just be your knight in shining armor.
- Hard Water: For those facing the hard water woes, we’ve got specialized hard water shower filters. They’re designed to tackle the mineral mayhem that can wreak havoc on your shower experience.
- Ease of Use: Nobody wants a filter that makes them pull their hair out during installation or maintenance. We put user-friendliness on the pedestal, ensuring a hassle-free experience from start to finish.
- Chlorine Removal: Chlorine might be good for pools, but it’s no friend to your skin and hair. We focused on filters designed to bid farewell to chlorine, leaving you with gentler and more refreshing showers.
- Iron Removal: If your water is rich in iron (and we’re not talking about pumping iron at the gym), our filters are here to rescue you. Say goodbye to those orange stains and keep your bathroom spotless.
- Value for Money: We did the math so you don’t have to. We factored in upfront costs, how long these filters last, and any other expenses to help you make an informed decision.
- Customer Support: Your happiness matters. We dug into user feedback on customer support experiences to make sure you won’t get lost in a labyrinth when you need help.
- Comparative Analysis: Our recommendations are rooted in real user reviews, so you can trust that these shower filters have received a thumbs up from homeowners just like you.
Now, let’s plunge into the world of shower filters and explore the benefits they offer.
Your Personal Guide to Finding the Perfect Shower Filter
Choosing the right shower filter can feel like navigating a maze, but worry not, we’ve got your back. In this friendly, no-nonsense buyer’s guide, we’ll hold your hand through the process of comparing different shower filters, so you can pick the one that suits you best. Whether you’re on the hunt for a hard water shower filter, one that banishes chlorine, or something to level up your skin’s game, we’ve got all the info you need.
Benefits of Shower Filters
Shower filters bring a basket full of benefits to your bathing experience. Here’s why you should consider having one in your life:
- Chlorine Removal: Shower filters can whisk chlorine away from your water, sparing your skin and hair from its harsh effects.
- Skin Health: If your skin is sensitive or dry, a shower filter can be your hero by delivering cleaner, gentler water for your showers.
- Eczema Relief: For those battling eczema, a top-notch shower filter can provide relief by reducing skin irritation caused by impurities in the water.
- Iron Removal: Filters designed to remove iron ensure that your water is free from rust and staining, keeping your fixtures and bathroom looking pristine.
- Hard Water: Say goodbye to the drama of hard water with our specialized hard water shower filters. They’re your secret weapon against mineral buildup.
- Dry Skin: Shower filters can wage war against dry skin by eliminating impurities that can rob your skin of its natural moisture.
Now that you’ve got the lowdown on the perks, let’s explore the types of shower filters available and how to pick the one that’s right for you.
Shower Filter Varieties: Unleash the Filter Power
Shower filters come in a variety of flavors, each with its own unique superpowers. Here are the four main types you should know:
- Chlorine Removal: These filters are masters at saying goodbye to chlorine in your water, leaving you with a kinder, gentler shower experience.
- Skin Health: Filters designed with your skin’s well-being in mind focus on removing impurities that can irritate sensitive or dry skin.
- Iron Removal: If you’re dealing with well water or water that’s high in iron, filters specialized in iron removal will keep your water crystal clear and stain-free.
- Hard Water: For those battling the mineral onslaught of hard water, our specialized hard water shower filters are your best friends. They’ll tackle those minerals and keep your showers drama-free.
Choose your shower filter wisely based on your unique needs to savor the best shower experience possible.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Improved Skin and Hair: Shower filters can leave your skin feeling smoother and your hair silkier by reducing impurities in the water.
- Chlorine Removal: Bid farewell to the harsh effects of chlorine on your skin and hair with a chlorine-removing filter.
- Healthier Showers: Filters can help alleviate skin conditions like eczema by providing cleaner water for your bathing rituals.
- Easy Installation: Most shower filters are a breeze to install and require minimal upkeep.
- Initial Cost: Some top-quality shower filters may come with an initial price tag, but consider it an investment in your well-being.
- Maintenance: Like any filter, shower filters need a little TLC, such as replacing cartridges or filters.
- Limited Contaminant Removal: While shower filters are champs at removing chlorine and certain impurities, they may not catch every single contaminant.
In a Nutshell:
Shower filters can significantly enhance your daily cleansing routine by delivering cleaner, gentler water. However, it’s essential to weigh factors like cost, maintenance, and the specific contaminants you want to tackle to make the best choice for your needs.
Now that you’re all set to find your ideal shower filter, here are some key points to remember:
- Contaminant Removal: Know which contaminants you want to bid adieu to, whether it’s chlorine, iron, or other water mischief-makers.
- Filter Type: Pick a shower filter that aligns with your filtration needs, whether it’s for chlorine removal, skin TLC, iron eviction, or hard water drama.
- Ease of Installation: Look for filters that won’t turn installation into a home improvement project, ensuring a seamless setup.
- Maintenance: Consider the maintenance requirements, including cartridge replacements and how often it needs some love.
- Water Flow Rate: Make sure the filter provides the right water flow rate for your showering habits, typically around 2.5 gallons per minute.
- Durability: Invest in a durable filter that won’t throw in the towel after a few rounds in the shower, saving you money in the long run.
- Brand Reputation: Choose a trusted brand backed by happy customers and reliable customer support.
- Budget: Determine your budget and find a shower filter that offers the best bang for your buck.
In conclusion, finding the perfect shower filter is like discovering your shower’s soulmate. By following our buyer’s guide and considering your unique needs,