For pennies a day, you can have a great shower filtration system that will improve the feel of your skin and hair by a trusted household name.
- Filter cartridges are NSF-certified and independently tested for performance
- Easy twist-on installation
- Minimal impact on water pressure
- Balances pH
- One-year warranty
Best for: Those looking for a low-cost shower filter that just works as described.
There are days when a warm, relaxing shower is the only reward you get for a job well done, so shouldn’t it be as pure and inviting as it can be? But unless you have a whole-home filtration system, chances are there’s more lurking in your water than you bargained for.
From chlorine that can irritate your skin and damage your hair to dangerous toxins like lead that can affect your health, shower water can harbor dozens of invisible contaminants.
The good news is that the solution to bad shower water is remarkably simple. It’s the Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System. For pennies a day, you can enjoy water that smells better and feels gentler on your body. And you can be confident it’s healthier, too.
- The AQ-4100 is budget-friendly, a breeze to install and best of all, it works like a charm. Here’s why it may well be the best shower filter for your home.
- Lesser filters on the market use a single filtration media that targets only select contaminants.
- But Aquasana has combined KDF 55 filtration media and premium activated carbon for the highest level of protection a shower head filter can offer.
- It removes chlorine and heavy metals, plus hydrogen sulfide, chemicals and more.
- The unique upflow design of the filter maximizes contact between water and the filtration media for maximum contaminant reduction.
- It discourages clogging so it won’t reduce your water pressure.
- The AQ-4100 is durable, budget-friendly, and it takes just minutes to install.
- The all-in-one filter comes with a multi-setting massage head for a fully customizable shower experience.
- Its 10,000-gallon capacity means less maintenance for you.
- Some users have reported issues with clogging over time which can reduce performance and could cause more frequent filter changes than advertised by the manufacturer – this could add additional costs as well as inconvenience when dealing with such problems regularly.
- The fragile housing is another pet peeve of mine leaky fittings overtime.
The AQ-4100 looks like a dream come true on paper and has been rated at one of the best shower filters on the market. However, it combines top-quality activated carbon made of pure coconut shell with KDF 55 filtration media for exceptional contamination reduction. Individual cartridges are NSF-certified for quality and performance. Short of whole-home filtration systems, few filters have this level of prowess.
The disappointment lies in the plastic housing. It feels durable, and by all appearances, Aquasana is doing what it should to ensure strict quality control. But user results have been mixed. Most folks don’t report significant issues, but there have been too many reports of cracked housings and leaky fittings to ignore.
For the price, however, it’s a steal, and it offers comprehensive contaminant reduction that’s too good to pass up if you have serious water quality issues. Without a warranty, I’d recommend it only with reservations. But since it’s covered for a year by a reputable company with a strong market presence, I’ll give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. You have more to gain than lose.
Compare The Competition
- Berkey Shower head filter: This filter is a great alternative to the Aquasana AQ-4100 as it has a higher filtration capacity and can remove up to 99.9% of chlorine, heavy metals, bacteria, and other contaminants from your shower water. It also comes with an adjustable shower head for added convenience.
- Culligan WSH-C125 Filtered Shower Head: This system filters sulfur, scale and chlorine. It’s designed to fit most standard showers and can be easily installed without any special tools, or professional help. It might be best for those looking for an easy installation process while removing that rotten-egg smell from high sulfur. Just be warned, the filter life is only 1,000 gallons when comparing against Aquasana’s 10,000 gallon filter life.
- AquaBliss High Output Universal Shower Filter: This product uses a multi-stage filtration system to reduce similar contaminants as the other two from your water. It also has an adjustable shower head that can be adjusted for different heights and angles. This might be best for those looking for a more comprehensive filtration system with adjustable features.
Let’s see what the hype is all about and take a deep dive into the AQ-4100 features.
Key Considerations Before You Buy
- Effectiveness: The Aquasana AQ-4100 filter is designed to reduce chlorine, lead, mercury and other contaminants from your shower water. It has a two-stage filtration system that removes up to 99% of these contaminants for cleaner, healthier water.
- Durability: This filter is made with durable materials and can last up to 6 months before needing a filter replacement, or 10,000 gallons. It also comes with a 1-year warranty so you can be sure it will last as long as you need it to with minimal impact on water pressure.
- Cost: The cost of the Aquasana shower head filter is relatively affordable compared to other filters on the market, making it an attractive option for those looking for quality without breaking the bank.
- Installation: Installing this filter is easy and straightforward; you just need a plumbers wrench and teflon tape and you simple remove your existing showerhead and twist this one on — its as simple as that.
Most water in the United States is safe to drink, contaminants like chlorine can be skin, lung and eye irritants when vaporized in the shower — even in tiny amounts. Lead is proving to be more absorbable through the skin than once thought, and the list of emerging contaminants water treatment authorities don’t yet test for is growing.
So while there’s no single filter that eliminates all contamination, why not choose one that reduces the broadest range of troublesome substances?
The Aquasana AQ-4100 reduces up to 91-percent of chlorine, plus:
- Industrial solvents
- Hydrogen sulfide
Is it the best shower filter for you? It’s not a water softener, so it doesn’t remove hard minerals, but by balancing pH, it helps control limescale on your shower walls. This version also doesn’t reduce chloramine — a secondary disinfectant some water districts use in addition to chlorine.
If you have a well, the best way to identify the contaminants you need to remove is with a water test. Do-it-yourself kits are available over the counter. If you use city water, ask your local treatment authority for a quality report.
A shower filters “capacity” is the number of gallons it can filter before the media is exhausted. The AQ-4100 is rated for 10,000 gallons; however, results will vary based on water quality. Users report cartridges last six months on average.
Since the price of replacements contributes to the long-term cost of owning a shower filter, their longevity matters. Among similar models, the AQ-4100’s cartridges are among the most cost-effective.
Shower heads in the United States are limited by law to a flow rate of 2.5 gallons per minute. In areas affected by drought, state regulations allow as little as 1.8 gallons.
The Aquasana AQ-4100 is rated for the maximum of 2.5 gallons. It can, however, be paired with a low-flow head of your choice. Either way, the upflow design forces water through the cartridge in a way that keeps the media loosely packed, preventing premature clogging and encouraging brisk water flow.
Installing the AQ-4100 may be the easiest thing you do all day. Instructions come with the kit, but the steps are simple:
- Remove your existing shower head
- Dry the end of the threaded pipe that brings water to your shower
- Wrap the threads in Teflon tape to prevent leaks
- Screw in the filter
It’s faster than making dinner.
Help & Support
Aquasana is a reliable name in water filtration, and they back the AQ-4100 with a one-year warranty. Friendly customer support is available by phone Monday through Saturday if you have questions or need help with installation. Replacement cartridges are readily available.
Aquasana’s motto is “Live Healthy,” so why wait? The AQ-4100 Deluxe filter system helps you do that and more with comprehensive filtration and a massaging head that brings a well-deserved touch of luxury to every shower.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s rated for up to 10,000 gallons, but performance depends in part on your water quality. Most users can expect cartridges to last for about six months.
The filter is made in China from molds engineered in the US.
Absolutely! It’s compatible with most shower heads.